- truth priorityRich, Joel: truth priority: A High School student causes a teacher to be fired with false testimony that only his parent can refute. The parent either (a)remains silent or (b)lies to protect the child or (c) tells the truth 1. What percentage of people would take each course? (orthodox vs. non? 2. […]
- Using Bein adam leMakom to motivate bein adam lechaveroAnthony Knopf: Using Bein adam leMakom to motivate bein adam lechavero: I've read this recent discussion with great interest. Rebbetzen Katz and Joseph Kaplan are right that there is much that the frum community can be proud of in its bein adam lechavero. This can't simply be attributed to its being a typical middle class […]
- QuestionMicha Berger: Question: [...] RJR focused on the leining. But I saw the question as being more about the kashrus of the Torah with the blood on it. Ink spills, which are actually black, do not invalidate a sefer Torah -- as long as the letters remain intact. Now that I think of it, although […]
- QuestionRich, Joel: Question: A colleague asked me the following question and I had no answer. If the ba’al kore is reading the Torah and either has a nose bleed or a finger cut which causes blood to transfer to the Sefer Torah, what is the halachic response?
- QuestionCantor Wolberg: Question: A colleague asked me the following question and I had no answer. If the ba’al kore is reading the Torah and either has a nose bleed or a finger cut which causes blood to transfer to the Sefer Torah, what is the halachic response?
- Is Making Kiddush on Schnapps a Problem?Prof. L. Levine: Is Making Kiddush on Schnapps a Problem?: Please see https://vosizneias.com/2020/01/19/is-making-kiddush-on-schnapps-a-problem/ Is Making Kiddush on Schnapps a Problem? -- Vos Iz Neia By Rabbi Yair Hoffman for 5tjt.com It can be called the Great "Schnapps vs. Wine" Wars. "Well, my father, […]
- Evidence for the identification of Mishkan ShiloMicha Berger: Evidence for the identification of Mishkan Shilo: Times of Israel <http://bit.ly/2TDGFZ8> or https://www.timesofisrael.com/listen-at-shiloh-archaeologist-finds-artifacts-hinting-at-biblical-tabernacle/ As Mosaic Magazine put it in their teaser (no link, because I am including in full): Altar Horns, Ceramic Pomegranates, and Other Evidence of the Ancient Jewish Sanctuary at Shiloh Jan. 17 2020 According to the Bible, the Tabernacle -- […]
- Using Bein Adam laMakom to Motivate Bein Adam laChaveiroMicha Berger: Using Bein Adam laMakom to Motivate Bein Adam laChaveiro: [...] Here's something I hope is NOT an example, but my cynical side was triggered. The gemara on BQ 38a explains the mishnah which says "shor shel Yisrael shenagach shor shel Kenaani -- patur." The gemara says that since they do not keep the […]
- Using Bein Adam laMakom to Motivate Bein Adam?laChaveiroMicha Berger: Using Bein Adam laMakom to Motivate Bein Adam?laChaveiro: [...] Other illustrations: 1- My first grade classroom was decorated with posters by Torah UMesorah of Torah, Avodah uGemilus Chassadim and of VeAhavta leRei'akha kaMokha. And yet I left middle school with the message that my Judaism would be measured by my ability to learn […]
- Tochachah until when?Micha Berger: Tochachah until when?: So, on Eirukhin 17b, R' Yehudah says that if someone doesn't accept your tokhachah, you need to keep at it ad sheyizof bo. Rav says ad haka'ah. And this machloqes carries through to the Rambam (Dei'os 6) who holds like Rav, and the Semag who holds like R Yehudah. […]